Saturday, March 12, 2022

(Budget) Folding Mirrors

Folding Mirrors (DRC161 Off-Road Folding Mirrors):

A popular modification for dual sport riding, particularly when lots of forest single track is involved, is folding mirrors. A perfect example of why is shown in the screenshot below from video I recorded on the Perry Mountain Tower Run Rally (Stanton, Alabama, AMA Dual Sport Series, 2019). I fatally damaged one of the mirrors on my KLX250 that year weaving in and out of the trees that guarded the tight single tracks of the mountain.


After three events so far on my recently acquired 2012 model year Suzuki DR650, I finally got around to installing some folding mirrors this weekend.

Similar to my 2016 model year DR650 (July 2017 Post) and several other model dual sports, I purchased the DRC 161 Off-Road Folding Mirrors from Pro Cycle (<$25, each). Generally, I've found these mirrors to be pretty decent in terms of mirror reflection, size + extension, visibility and structure. They're great for the dual sport rally circuit. Seriously though, if I was planning a long adventure involving lots of pavement, I'd install the stock mirrors.


Yes, yes, there appear to be many cheaper, very similar looking folding mirrors online in sites like Amazon. However, I've tried a few of them and, while the 161s certainly are not top shelf, they're better than any of those $15-a-pair mirrors.

Knob Modification

Notwithstanding, not far into my first experience with the 161s back in 2017, I'd determined that the mirrors do, in fact, have somewhat of an operational flaw. That is, they require a tool to fold and/or adjust them; specifically a 4mm hex key. As you know, dual sport is a combination of road and trail. It's a pain to adjust the mirror moving from one surface to the next and, quite frankly, I didn't. I usually either left them up or down, and if you're going to leave them down, might as well just leave them off.

Rather than leave them off when I'd like them on (or down when I'd like them up), I came up with a very simple modification to replace the hex key adjustment with permanent M6 Compression Knobs (<$6 on Amazon for five knobs). Yes, only two are needed for this mod, but I've put all the additional knobs to use on other projects. In fact, two of them hold the ramp on my Black Widow AMC-400 motorcycle hitch receiver rack.


Here's how the modification works: 

The 161 mirrors pivot on a 20mm long (thread length) M6 hex-head bolt with a 10mm hexagonal nut that is recessed in the body of the mirror pivot assembly to hold it from spinning (see photo below). The modification simply replaces that 20mm M-6 bolt and its 4mm hex-key head with a 30mm long (thread length) M-6 bolt (fine .75 pitch) with a 10mm hexagonal head. The new 30mm bolt is installed in reverse to the original bolt such that the hexagonal head of the new bolt sets in the recession where previously the hexagonal nut set. The nut is replaced with the knob.


The new 30mm M6 nuts extend an extra 10mm more than the original bolt, which allows installation of the knobs. Viola, quick adjusting mirrors.
 

Note that the 161 mirror is universal with no specific left or right mirror fitment; rather, each 161 mirror is designed for either left or right application. Therefore, the modification I've outlined is performed identically to each mirror. I have modified my mirrors such that the hexagonal bolt head (recession) points back and the knobs are positioned and pointing forward. That can be reversed if the user prefers the knobs pointing back.

Here are some photos of the modified mirrors installed on my 2012 Suzuki DR650.




Comparo to Stock Mirrors:

Below are measurements for comparison between the Stock and DRC161 mirrors:


Rise (measured from top edge of mirror perch to center of horizontal post where it meets the arm of the mirror):
  • Stock = 1.25"
  • DRC161 (adjustable) = up to 2"

Extension (measured from the center of the horizontal post along the arm and mirror surface to the outermost edge of the mirror glass area):
  • Stock = 9"
  • DRC161 = 8.75"

Mirror Size and Area:
  • Stock = square, 4" x 4.5", 18 in/2
  • DRC161 = round, 4" diameter, 12.5 in/2


Next stop..... 

..... the Wild Bear Adventure Safari in Cocoa Beach, Florida, April 6 and 7 ... a rally that I will definitely be folding the mirrors out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment