Sunday, March 20, 2022

Fat Bar Mod (Update)

The issue:

You replace your standard 7/8" diameter handlebar with a fat or tapered 1-1/4" bar and your expensive Barkbuster handguards no longer fit.

How I dealt with that:

In April 2017, I replaced the stock handlebar on my 2016 model year Suzuki DR650 with a Pro Taper Contour Handlebar (Henry Reed Bend) (Fat Bar Post Link). The Contour Bars are tapered from 1-1/4" in the clamp area down to 7/8" along the controls areas. I liked that bar so much that I've now installed one on my most recently purchased 2012 DR650.

Among the issues faced going from a stock 7/8" to the Contour was fitment of the handguards. Back in 2017, I simply replaced the handguards I was using for a set that fit a fat-bar. My current model DR650 has Barkbusters installed and, instead of buying a new set (Barkbuster or otherwise), I simply replaced the lower guard clamps and the anchor bolt ... for $20. 


These adapter kits were widely available on Amazon and, while they fit the job, by comparison of the kit components to those of the Barkbuster components, the quality of the materials is kind of suspect; much lighter aluminum, but I really can't speak to strength. Time will tell.

As can be seen in the following photos, I painted the adapter kit clamps and the Barkbuster frame.



Note in the photo above ^ that the short post from the handguard frame to the clamp is the Barkbuster post, not the post from the kit as shown in the preceding photo. Even though both fit, I used the BB part since those parts were obviously better metallurgically.

Note in the photo above ^ that the black plastic clamp inserts from the kit (see stock kit photo) are, in fact, used in this application. Those inserts were useful in dealing with the tapering of the bar in that particular area. The clamp bolted down firmly with the inserts.  

The Barkbuster bar end expansion/anchor bolts did not fit the new ProTaper Controur Bar.

  • Barkbuster Expansion Bolt Outer Diameter = 17.5mm
  • ProTaper Bar End Inner Diameter = 14mm

While the expansion/anchor bolts in the kit fit, I acquired and anticipated using another set of better quality anchors made by ZETA (P/N ZE71-7911); about $16 by many part suppliers. While they indeed fit, the expansion tubes did not have outer collars that are necessary to remove the anchor, if ever necessary; something I missed when purchasing. 

Anchor removal, such as was the case with the Barkbuster anchors, is accomplished by unscrewing the bolt out half an inch or so and then lightly tapping the bolt back into the bar such that the wedge pushes out of the expansion tube that remains stationary. The anchor tube needs the collar to hold it in place during that process. Without a collar the anchor tube will slide back and not separate from the wedge.   

No worries, though, the expansion/anchor bolts in the kit did the job. 

I will update any issues on this product and the related modification.

No comments:

Post a Comment