The 2016 Suzuki DR650 (and probably many other years) have a front axle clamp with four studs. During the tire change leading into the Southern Discovery rally, one of the upper studs snapped. It did not snap when being re-torqued; rather, it was snapped when we pulled the tire off. Either way it's most likely and over-torque and incorrect installation issue.
A quick check of OEM Parts Diagrams does not show the studs as a separate part....and the whole fork bucket is a $400 item!!! However, I was able to get information from other owners on the facebook group that indicate that this is repairable...so no need to panic.
RockMountainATV Screenshot-2016 DR650 Front Fork Dampener.
Over-torqued or incorrectly installed?
While the broken stud was most likely caused by being over-torqued, discussion with other owners indicate that incorrect installation could also cause (or contribute to) the stud failure. Correct installation calls for tightening the upper stud nuts first, as shown in this screen shot of the DR650 Service Manual:
First you need to find them. As previously mentioned, Suzuki does not offer the OE stud in its parts offerings. However, again, our friends on the facebook group indicate that Dorman offers and aftermarket part that fits. I was able to have my local O'Reilly Autoparts Store order me one...actually for $2.16, I got a couple...just in case we have this problemo again. :)
Dorman Part No. 675-317
Replacing the Stud
Awaiting the stud. Stay tuned...