Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Trackside Handguards for DR650

I was visiting Cycle Gear today and noted that they're Trackside Aluminum Handguards, normally $99.99, were on sale for $49.99. They're pretty decent quality, made of billet aluminum. One of the big attractions was that they had a number of adjustment points to facilitate universal installation.


I found the installation very simple and straight forward. I did not have to cut off the ball ends of either levers. However, I did need to slide the clutch perch <1/4 inch to the right to make the lever fit inside the handguard frame. The perch could not be shifted any further because the pull of the lever will interfere with the casing, but that <1/4 inch was enough in my installation.


At the same time, I installed some Universal Bike Master Risers that lifted the bar 21mm (13/16"). The kit comes with a couple shims to make for another 1/2" in rise if I find myself needing some more. I had plenty of cable slack at 13/16" to go higher, but I'm going to see how I like the 13/16" rise.

Some folks like to retain the bar end weights even with handguards. I don't, but for those that do, I suppose all you'd have to do is take the bar end anchor bolts up to ACE Hardware and replace them with bolts 1.5-2.0 inches longer.


Overall, these two mods were great additions to my DR650. The guards in particular are a good looking and sturdy set of handguards. Glad I went to Cycle Gear today and got in on this great sale!



___________________________

Photo of the adjustment points on the bar. A lot of handguards, including some of the expensive models, don't have adjustment points to get a good mount. I've also heard that the more adjustments that a handgaurd has, the weaker it is. My experience is that the things bend anyway when you fall over. They're main purpose is to keep the brush from ripping my gloves (and hand) all apart riding on trails. They're great for keeping cold wind off hands, too. If you don't want to bend them, don't fall.


I suppose if we consider the bar end anchor an adjustment point, then there are four adjustment points.

No comments:

Post a Comment