Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Suzuki DR650 Screen Options

After a couple thousand miles on my 2016 Suzuki DR650S, I've decided that I need a little better wind deflection in the front. It's really not that bad and just needs a little help getting the airflow over my head as it's right directly, dead-center in my face at the moment. I know that's where it is because north of 60 mph the air flow uncomfortably pushes the bridge of my glasses into my nose. Okay, not the end of the world.

Surfing around the web, there appear to be a number of windscreen options for the Suzuki DR650. Some of the options have mounting solutions back to the bars. Some of the options mount on the headlight cover/shroud.

Cee Bailey Sport Deflector $89.00

Cee Bailey offers a commuter and sport deflector shield. I'm not interested in anything too high because it'll just snap off in a trail fall. So I'm focused on the Sport Shield. It mounts on the shroud and rises 9 inches above the shroud. It appears that alternative mounting solutions might be available for different heights, but I can't tell in the photos whether those solution would increase or decrease the height. I definitely wouldn't want to go more than 9 inches above the shroud.




The Sport Deflector comes in clear or smoke. I'm not planning on looking through this screen and definitely want an smoke, dark smoke or even an opaque black.

Bajaworx Ralley Windshield $110

The Bajaworx Rallye is similar to the Cee Bailey, but extends 7.5 inches above the shroud. It seems a little higher than that, but by comparison the CB appears to be angled back a little perhaps leading to that effect.



The Bajaworx Rallye comes in a clear and a smoke tint.

Laminar Lip Speed Shield $89.95 (at Pro-Cycles)

The speed shield is reportedly designed for motorcycles with minimal wind protection or no wind protection (like the DR650). They're designed to lower wind pressure and minimize fatigue. Ah yes, that's what I'm looking for; not a touring screen. Since it is a shroud mount, it is adjustable from 7 to 10 inches of height above the shroud top.


Interestingly, this model comes with a Velcro mounting solution for easy off, easy on. I found a couple reports that the screen came off in flight using that solution. Probably best to stick to the more permanent mount solution also included in the kit.

Turbo City (TCI) Adventure Windscreen ($197.95)

TCI makes some nice products. I have their Borrego rack on my DR650. I had a bunch of their stuff on a Kawasaki Super Sherp I had several years ago. This particular product is one of the bar clamp mounted screens. It's also quite a bit bigger of a screen than I want. It's definitely a sturdy looking contraption (as most TCI products are).



TCI stuff is also on the pricy side.

National Cycle Deflector Screen DX

There are a couple universal options out there as well. I found some DR650 owners opted for the National Cycle Deflector Screen, which is typically a Harley application. However, it's universal and they found some interesting mounting solutions.


In the case below, the DR on the left has the deflector mounted in front of the shroud while the DR on the right has it mounted behind the shroud.


Definitely some good installations there. In my case, the screen is just a little too big and I've decided to pass on any bar mount solution.

Certainly, there are many other options but these were the few that seemed to be more for deflection that I was looking for rather than full touring. Among these options, I have selected the Laminar Lip Deflector.

It's about the right size and its about the right price and here's what I was thinking: For non-adjustable (as to height) screens how do you get it in the sweet spot without having to re-mount it several times punching all kinds of holes in the shroud? Well, the answer...I think...is that Velcro mount solution of the Laminar Lip. I can use the Velcro mounting to experiment with a height to my liking and then, when I find it, re-install it with a more permanent solution. We'll see.

I order the screen from Pro-Cycle and will report back when I get it installed and properly tested.

4 comments:

  1. Did you end up getting the Laminar Lip? How'd it work out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the Laminar Lip did not work out and had to be removed. The screen caused excessive steering oscillation (death wobble) at highway speeds. It's okay at speeds under 60 mph; any higher and it's far too dangerous. See August 2016 post, Death Wobble.

      Delete
    2. I had this screen I believe. Did not have problem, rarely went over 65. What tires are you running? I was running d606 front and rear had a lot of problems with high speed wobble. Switched the front to TKC80 and the problem was solved.

      Delete
  2. It's been a few years now. What screen are you running, if any at all? Any new recommendations?

    ReplyDelete