Thursday, October 12, 2017

Axle Clamp Studs

Axle Clamp Stud

The 2016 Suzuki DR650 (and probably many other years) have a front axle clamp with four studs. During the tire change (third this year) leading into the Southern Discovery rally, one of the upper studs snapped. It did not snap when being re-torqued; rather, it was "already" snapped when we pulled the axle nut holder off and the broken end fell on the floor. Either way it's most likely and over-torque and incorrect installation issue.


A quick check of OEM Parts Diagrams does not show the studs as a separate part....and the whole fork bucket is a $400 item!!! However, I was able to get information from other owners on the facebook group that indicate that this is repairable...so no need to panic.

RockMountainATV Screenshot-2016 DR650 Front Fork Dampener.


Over-torqued or incorrectly installed?

While the broken stud was most likely caused by being over-torqued, discussion with other owners indicate that incorrect installation could also cause (or contribute to) the stud failure. Correct installation calls for tightening the upper stud nuts to the proper torques first, as shown in this screen shot of the DR650 Service Manual:


Certain experienced owners indicated that the preferable approach is to snug the upper nuts and then torque the lower nuts to the axle holder torque spec. That's not what the Service Manual sez, just an FYI...and I thought relevant because that's the same method that handle bar clamps are installed.


Replacement Stud

First you need to find them. As previously mentioned, Suzuki does not offer the OE stud in its parts offerings. However, again, our friends on the facebook group indicate that Dorman offers and aftermarket part that fits. I was able to have my local O'Reilly Autoparts Store order me the stud for $2.16 each...so I got four just in case we have this problemo again. :)

Dorman Part No. 675-317


Use caution shopping this part as I saw it being offered for $20 each on both Amazon and eBay! 

To be continued when the studs come in....


Replacing the Stud

The studs finally arrived at O'Reilly Auto Parts and just in time; the Pumpkin Run is this weekend and I really don't want to do it on the KLR650. I purchased four studs and am keeping three for spares.


Removal of the snapped stud required a little heat and a lot of care. It's only cast aluminum and it was an uneasy feeling turning that thing out. My $3 fix would have turned into a much more expensive fix if I broke the casting. It did come out though by working it with a vice-grip.


The new and old stud had the same thread length that set in the cast (7mm) and the same unthreaded length (12mm).


The outer thread length of the new Dorman stud is 18mm, which is 5mm longer than the stock, so it sticks out further. I can live with that.

I set it in the cast with blue locktite.


The nut is called "Front Axle Holder Nut" in the  torque section of the Service Manual and calls for a torque of 10 N.m or 7 Ft/lbs. That's a pretty low torque but can be accomplished with my clicker torque wrench.

Equally important to the torque, I now believe is the installation process that provides for the top nuts torqued "FIRST" and then the lowers. I do not believe that I have been doing that and I've been changing out my tires three times a year. Here's a screen print of my service manual on this point.


Overall, it was an easy fix. I'm surprised that it isn't discussed in the service manual or that Suzuki doesn't off the replacement stud. I'm grateful to the folks on the Facebook DR650 Group Page for helping me out with this mess. It looked bad. It turned out to be a $3 fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment