Monday, November 22, 2021

TransFlorida 2021 Part 2

 The first serious work for my DR650 Part 2 (this is my second DR650) was the November version of the 2021 Semi-Annual Trans Florida Adventure Rally, i.e. Part 2. 

The Rally launched out of Palatka, Florida (east cost) on Day 1 and terminated 250 miles later in Monticello, Florida. Day 2 was a different 230 mile track back to Palatka. I've ridden the TF for several years and, while the starting/finish has always been Palatka, the organizers place the mid-point in a different city; normally one of the cities along the Gulf, this track had us all the way up near Tallahassee!

Overall, I estimate a better than 50-50 dirt to pavement ratio, but that still equates to being in the gravel, dirt, sand and dust much longer. I've ridden the Trans Florida for several years and, quite frankly, this event was the best of the tracks they've prepared for us. 


While I stayed in a hotel in Monticello the first night, I had camp set up at Rodman Campground throughout the weekend. A little fishing on Friday and Monday in the Rodman Reserve and Rallying over the weekend.


Light and nimble being the best way to handle these types of events, I stripped the DR650 down to bare bones. No need for boxes and center stands and whatever else. Generally, all I need is one change of cloths and tube replacement tools for the Trans Florida.


I have some video of the starting line in Palatka.

The next event we're registered for is the Polar Bear Adventure Rally out of Keystone Heights, Florida on January 6-9.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment