Thursday, April 21, 2016

SWMotech Aluminum Engine Guard

My new 2016 Suzuki DR650S doesn't need much in the area of protection, but it does need a good bash plate. After reviewing the alternatives I purchased the SWMotech Aluminum Engine Guard. Although I purchased the bash plate directly from my dealer, it was from Twisted Throttle and I paid $119.99, same as TT price, except no shipping cost. Next photo is a stock photo from TT.


Looks and protection coverage, the SW Motech was in the ballpark with most all the other aftermarket brands. I should mention that a couple models, including the factory option, did not have side coverage, which is something that I wanted. So I eliminated plates without that side coverage.

Ultimately, I picked the SW Motech plate among a number of plates mainly due to the facts that (i) it really looked pretty good and (ii) it appeared to have the best mounting solution of any plates on the market. While all the plates attached in the rear to the two bolt holes provided for the manufacturer's factory plate, the front mount of the SWM is actually incorporated into the lower front engine mount. A diagram of this is provided longer.

Here's what came in the box from Twisted Throttle. Everything was well packaged.


My initial reaction was that the material was a little on the thin side. In fact, I noticed a number of reviews on Twisted Throttle's site that indicated that the material was on the thin side; mostly generalities. However, the listing said it was 4.0 mm thick. That's only 0.5 mm thinner than the Ricochet Bash Plate on my KLR650 ... seemed like I could live with 0.5 mm thinner plate.

When the SWMotech plate arrived I had the exact same reaction regarding the thickness. Then I mic'd it ...  and the bottom plate came in at 3.10 mm. Hmmm. Did I read that wrong? Looks like it says 4.0 mm.


Surfing around, I found other retailers that reflected the SWMotech plate as having a 3.0 mm thickness. One example was Solomoto Parts.

Anyway, this thickness thing was just a disappointment, nothing more. My off road riding terrains are mostly very soft surfaces that are devoid of large rocks, where a bash plate really comes in handy. Rather, my obstacles are more like tree stumps. I can live with the thinner plate.

Onward...

Installation is quick and simple. Here are a look at the instruction diagrams. As previously mentioned the mounting provides for two rear points where there are pre-existing bolt holes for the factory plate and the front mount is incorporated into the front engine mount by replacing the lower engine bolt.

The only difficulty I ran into was not with the bash plate itself. Rather, the nut on the long engine/frame mount bolt that gets replaced was frozen. I had to break out my 400 ft/lb Craftsman Air Impact Wrench to break it. Once I got that nut off it was smooth sailing. There are no clamps; everything bolts up.


Here's a look at the final installed bash plate.



Overall, I'm happy with the SWMotech product. It looks good, has plenty of coverage and a very solid mount. Would I have purchased the SWMotech plate knowing that it was only 3.0 mm thick in the bottom plate when represented to be 4.0 mm? I'm not sure. The alternative would have been the Ricochet Skid Plate ($89.00 at Procycle) similar to my KLR650 plate. However, I had problems fitting that plate, so I'm not too high on them either. I guess I just can't say. Ride on...


No comments:

Post a Comment