Tuesday, April 12, 2016

2016 Suzuki DR650S

I just wrapped up a deal on a new 2016 Suzuki DR650S. The DR650 is a popular and, in fact, classic dual sport motorcycle.



I currently ride a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT and a 2016 Kawasaki KLR650. The Versys is my 1043cc sport touring model that I racked up 20,000 miles on during 2015. The KLR650, like the DR, is a dual sport. I purchased the KLR650 in late November 2015 to use for Florida dual sporting during the winter months. Seriously, I've ridden the Florida roads to the point that I just needed something else to do...so with a background in dirt and adventure, dual sporting was where it was at.

The thing about the other motorcycles is that I have a 21 year old son who has his endorsement and rides both motorcycles. However, he noted all the rallies that I'd been attending looked fun and wanted to join me...so we needed another dual sport, since the Versys isn't up to that kind of action.

I looked at three models. Another KLR650, the Suzuki DR650 and the Honda XR650L. These three models were all in the price range that I was looking to spend. Quite frankly, I took the KLR off the list right out of the gate for no other reason than we already had one. It has been a great bike, but something different was in order...for better or worse or even the same. Here's some comparative information on the three models.


On paper the XR stands out in the group; better off-road dynamics across the board. However, the one feature that pushed me back to the DR was the seat height. The KLR and DR seat heights at 35.0 and 34.8 are as high as I can go and still feel comfortable. I know some people install lowering kits, but I don't think that's the way to go. It's better to pick the bike that fits. And so it was the DR650.

I did a test ride on the DR just to confirm my decision and was really quite amazed at the additional low-end torque that it had over and above the KLR650. It's quite easy to get that front wheel off the ground.


It does need a few touches but not to the extent that we had to accessorize the KLR650.

First and foremost, in Florida we always end up needing more aggressive tires to deal with the sand, mud and flood. I'm in the decision phase on that. I also needed a tail rack and a bash plate that I ordered at my dealer. On those two items, I got the SWMotech Aluminum Engine Guard:


And I got the Moose Expedition Luggage Rack, which is actually the TCI Borego Rack (I used to have this exact rack on a SuperSherpa).


I think that the DR650 is going to offer up great fun as my son and I explore the dual sporting opportunities that are available here in the Southeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment