Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Sedici Veneto Tail Bag

I have about half a dozen or so different tail bags, some soft, some hard for various different needs. My two principal tail bags are a Givi E26N-S Hard Top Box (26 liters) and a Motocentric Mototrek Soft Roll Bag (33 liters). However, I wanted to change out my trail bag. My trail bag is the bag that I carry rally gear in; the stuff you'd need out in the woods if you broke down or got a flat.

Up until now, I've been carrying a smaller trail bag on top of a Rotopax cell and I have a back pack for hydration and some trail items. I've decided to skip the fuel cell, except in real exceptional situations, and the back pack and go with a bigger bag on the tail.

I've had a brand new tail bag, tags still attached, for some time called a Veneto Tail Bag that I picked up on a sale at Cycle Gear, thinking I'd use it on my Versys 1000 LT. It's quite a large bag measuring 11" H x 16" L x 11" W (expanding to 18" x 16" x 11'). It's volume is 25 liters (expanding to 40 liters). My current bag, which fits all the constituent items, has volume of only 12 liters.

Pouches on three sides and integrated bungee cords for secure fitment to my tail racks. It also has integrated backpack straps. Like most soft luggage it is not waterproof and comes with a soft rain cover. The two side compartments are quite large. In one, I have my Slime Powersport Air compressor and in the other, I have the front spare tube.



The front pouch is good for phone, camera, maps papers and stuff like that.


Here are some looks at it strapped on my 2016 Suzuki DR 650S. It looks kind of big, which is why I didn't really like it on my Versys 1000. However, its only half full with trail gear and, as we move into summer, the larger size gives me a place to put some rain gear and some water bottles.




Here's what I carry for trail gear. This gear fits in the Veneto and there's room for my rain gear, my tank bag (which I remove when I get in on the trails) and three bottles of water.
  • Tubes: front (90-21) and rear (130-17)
  • Slime Powersport Air Compressor (hardwired with a two-pin connector)
  • Motion Pro T-6 24 mm Combo Spoon (DR650 rear)
  • Motion Pro T-6 27 mm Combo Spoon (KLR650 rear)
  • Regular 8" flat spoon
  • 19 mm box wrench (front axle bolt, DR650+KLR650)
  • 2 x Motion Pro Rim Protectors
  • Valve Stem Tool
  • Air pressure gauge
  • 25' Para-Cord
  • 1/4" Ratchet and 8mm-14mm sockets
  • 1/4" Extension and 8 bit driver set (flat/Philips/hex)
  • 8" crescent wrench
  • Needle nose pilers
  • Small vice grip
  • Assorted fuses, wire strand and connectors
  • Zip ties
  • 2 x hand towels
The one issue that I encountered with the Veneto first time out on the trails is that it rocks off center and actually slides on the tail rack. See photo below. I think this has to do with the fact that it's strapped only at the base, it's dang tall/top heavy and perhaps the contents aren't organized most efficiently. In addition, my tail rack is angled in the direction that it slipped, so it's natural slope isn't helping. It only did this out on the trail and keep in mind that we're bouncing around quite a bit out there. There was no indication that it was going to actually come off. However, I'm going to see if I can get it more securely strapped down. Otherwise, it really did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment