Sunday, April 24, 2016

Suzuki DR650 Top Speed

I've seen a number of YouTube videos and forum postings with claims that the DR650 can top out at 95 mph-100 mph. During the two videos I found, I noticed that the stock speedometer was used to determine top speed. Unfortunately, like most Jap bikes, the speedometer on the DR650 overstates actual speed. In fact, the higher the speed, the wider the spread. The reason I know this is that I've compared it to my SatNav.

Today, on my way back from South Florida, I found myself on some good county roads with no traffic. Being close enough to the end of the running-in cycle of 1,000 miles I decided to see what my 2016 DR650S had in it in terms of top speed. Below are the details. Now, this is Florida so don't ask if the road was straight and flat. We only have one kind of road here, straight and flat.

I made three separate runs to gauge top speed. My DR650S was configured as follows:
  • Stock Trail Wings TW41/42.
  • Stock Gearing.
  • SWMotech Skid Plate.
  • A Givi E26NC-S top box was mounted on my TCI Borrego Luggage Rack.
  • No screen.
  • Rear Fender Flap Removed.
  • Helmet was a full-face with visor adventure-type helmet.
  • Short sleeved tee with no other gear that would grab wind.
  • Clear skies, no wind.
  • I weigh 180 pounds.
  • Speed was determined based upon a TomTom Rider SatNav GPS.
And the top speed was ... 93 mph.

Not bad. It'll probably never see that speed again. However, another conclusion I've reached during the last 400-500 miles is that the DR650 will easily maintain consistent highway speeds ranging from 75 mph to 80 mph. Above that it seems to be working a little beyond its comfortable limit. For a dual sport, that's a very good range to get from track to track.

No comments:

Post a Comment