Thursday, April 14, 2016

Poor Man's Fuzeblock

I used to install Fuzeblock Power Distribution Units on motorcycles, but these smaller dual sports that I've recently purchased don't throw off enough juice to run anything worth buying the Fuzeblock for to begin with. The only things I have to wire up on the new 2016 Suzuki DR650S are my TomTom Rider SatNav and a cable for my Slime Powersport Air Compressor. However, when setting up an accessory wiring harness, it's a good idea to start with a scalable platform.

I started my accessory wiring harness with a $3.50 6-gang, Radio Shack Junction Block (also called a Dual-Row Barrier Strip). I dedicated three of the gangs to positive leads and three of the gangs to grounding leads. I painted the screws red and black, accordingly. Since each gang is an individual circuit, I needed to wire connect the positives and negatives and provide leads that connect directly to the battery. Of course, all positive leads to any battery must be fused, so I installed a fuseholder at the positive battery terminal.


The best place for these types of setups is under the seat, but there wasn't any room. I zip tied the junction block to the subframe located right in front of the regulator rectifier. Since there was no cover for this model of junction block, I was left to coat it with dialectic grease for protective purposes.


Essentially, this accessory harness provides for multiple accessories (within the motorcycles electrical limitations) but each accessory requires its own fuse. My TomTom has its own fuse in it's mounting cradle and the Slime lead has a linked fuse holder as can be seen in the photo.

In anticipation of perhaps adding an accessory later, I ran a simple pig tail from under the seat up to the area in front of the fuel tank. Installing it now will lessen the installation of the accessory (whatever that is) later.


No comments:

Post a Comment