Sunday, April 17, 2016

Fender Elimination

I had a fender elimination on my shortlist of mods to my 2016 Suzuki DR650S and got around to it today. I didn't eliminate the whole fender, just the rear flap or, as it's called in the parts list, extender. I had no concerns about the flap hitting the tire, there seemed to be plenty of room. Rather, its just a cosmetic thing. I did the same thing to my KLR650 (KLR650 Fender Elim).

Here's a before and an after photo of the brief project.



Elimination of the DR650S flap required the fabrication of a new license plate bracket. Simple process, I cut a simple bracket out of a sheet of aluminum. Here is a LINK to the Template.


I tried a couple options for a license plate light and didn't like any of them. The same thing happened on my KLR650 and I ended up buying a set of lighted license plate bolts. Under $5.00 for the set, I'll probably end up doing the same thing.


UPDATE:
I received only one of my lighted license plate bolts but the vendor has another on the way. I went ahead and wired up the one I got and was surprised how much brighter it was than the lighted plate bolts that for my KLR650 fender elimination.

The lighted bolt is in the upper left corner of the plate.


Here's what it looks like inside my garage with the lights off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment